First, a look at some of the tools I used to build one of these (and do some of my other mods). A good drill and bit set are needed. Additionally, a dremel or two. The 30,000RPM electric model works great for tougher things, and the versapak powered one works fine for smaller tasks.
Yes, I could buy one of these adapters online, but why spend money and pay for shipping and then have to wait a couple of days when I can build one myself and have fun while doing it? For the mounting hardware I used 4 leftover slot covers from my case. Any similar metal pieces will work. I also got an extra 60mm fan (above right) and the new, quiet Sunon 80mm fan (above left).
The first step was to drill holes in the rounded ends of my metal strips. I taped all of them together so that everything I did would be duplicated. This was easy and all it took was a ruler, marker and dremel with a high speed metal bit installed. Next, a large bench vice was used to hold the strips and a rubber mallet was used to bend them appropriately. Simple estimation and some measuring was used to determine where to bend them. A cutoff disk was then used to trim them to length to end up with what you see above.
Next, the metal parts were installed upside down. The final project would have the squared ends on the Sunon fan instead of the rounded ends as shown above. The reason for installing them backwards was to figure out where to put the holes for the 60mm heatsink…
The 60mm fan was set on top of the tabs like this. Then, I took a .5mm pencil lead and jiggled it around in the holes to mark the metal for drilling. I could have measured, but why not do it the easy way and avoid any possible errors?
I took them off the fan, drilled them, and reinstalled them the correct way as shown above.
Next, the shroud itself was created using paperboard (index cards would work too). Pieces were cut and hot glued as shown above.
Finally, black electrical tape was wrapped around it to make it air tight. Tada! I have a finished project. The entire operation only took a few hours, was fun to build and and didn’t cost a penny to complete.
I installed the unit by using 4 rubber gromets to keep vibration away from my shiny new t-bird. The fan and shroud are pretty much permanently attached, but if the fan were to die, the metal parts would be recyclable. I simply put the screws in through the fan blades and it is running to this day.
Also, temps dropped abother 1 degree celcius! Amazingly enough, this device is cooling better than the 60mm YS-TECH I replaced with it.